Monday, May 9, 2011

In 12 days, my nephew, graduates from high school. He has received a full academic scholarship to Memphis State University. That means in the fall me and my nephew will be in college at the same time. I am so very proud of him. He's grown into a very nice, funny, smart and respectable young man. And yes, I think he is gorgeous! He's tall and thin and handsome. He's kind and generous and loving. He's going to be a good man. So why am I telling you all this? Because of a few reasons. First, that boy grew up with bangers, and kids destined for trouble. He grew up and he surpassed what the neighborhood norm was. Thanks to a mother and father who didn't let him run the streets and who asked for and expected more from him. Parents who made him live up to his potential. It can be done and there is no excuse for parents not to be fully present in their child's lives and education. If they aren't going to step up, then step aside and let somebody else handle it.
The other reason is that i'm not quite sure I like the idea of being in school again with my nephew in school at the same time. Something doesn't set well with me about that. But I also feel like on the other hand, this is me showing him that you never give up. That life doesn't stop because of career change. That if you want something bad enough and are willing to work hard for it, then anything can be accomplished. I want to be a good role model for him. A good aunt to him. And a good support system for what he's about to face. Yeah, I love that boy more than life itself. In my eyes he is perfection personified.

No comments:

Post a Comment